Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois remind residents to plan now for extreme weather
(Published June 4, 2019)
For the News
From tornadoes to hurricanes to floods, Illinois is now in extreme weather season and to be safe, it pays to prepare now for weather emergencies
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois (BCBSIL) would like to offer a few tips to help residents prepare for the weather.
First, follow this top 10 list of things to put in any weather preparedness kit.
1. Nonperishable food (three days’ worth for each person)
2. Water (one gallon per person, for at least three days)
3. First aid kit (include bandages, pain relievers, prescription medications)
4. Flashlights and/or lanterns, and extra batteries
5. Portable battery charger for devices (e.g. smartphones and tablets)
6. Tarps, waterproof tape
7. Multi-tool with wrench to turn off utilities
9. Copies of critical information (e.g. insurance cards, identification, bank account)
10.Any special supplies for children (diapers, games, etc.) and pets
It seems extreme weather is the new normal for our planet. With very little warning, families must face the devastating effects of floods, hurricanes and tornadoes. People may lose their homes, jobs, possessions, and even family members’ lives during these disasters. The last thing they should have to worry about is if they have their prescription medications, eyeglasses or insurance cards.
Fortunately, when Blue Cross Blue Shield members need them, the Seasons of Life team members are there to help. Blue Cross Blue Shield customer advocates proactively call members in declared disaster areas to check in and help them do the things they cannot easily do in times of crisis – replacing insurance ID cards, refilling lost prescriptions or accessing in-network doctors if the member or their doctor is displaced. They also can arrange for members to participate in a virtual visit with a health professional.
In 2018, the Seasons of Life program reached out to 18,663 members during disasters. To find out more about the program, visit their website, bcbsil.com.